Tuesday, December 30, 2008

RECORD REVIEW: The Killers - Day & Age (2008)

I've had a hard-on for the Killers ever since 2004 and Hot Fuss, a beautiful album with depth, range, and irresistible synth. Sam's Town was a refinement of their sound, though it sacrificed the more laidback approach that made the second half of Hot Fuss so enjoyable ("On Top" and "Everything Will Be Alright," for example), for the sake of making the same two songs six times each. But those two songs sounded great, and I'd be happy to listen to "Bling (Confession of a King)" on repeat for a good long while. Sam's Town didn't do anything new, but it was still solidly written and it had lots of synth. I like synth, so that's good.

Skipping past the forgettable B-sides album Sawdust, we arrive at Day & Age, the album that determines whether or not the Killers have staying potential. And I'm sorry to say I'm not optimistic. The album starts strong: first single "Human" is suitably grandiose, though I'm still not sure if there's a single real instrument on the track (I like synth guys, but your fake strings sound awful). "Losing Touch" is even better, hinting at the former glory of fellow album-opener "Jenny Was a Friend of Mine." But aside from the (fairly anemic) guitar riffs, the instrumentation is a mess again. Add that to frontman Brandon Flowers' inability to write a song without a downtempo section anymore (goddamnit!), and the best songs on the album just don't belong in the same category as anything off Hot Fuss.

And that's the good stuff. By the time track 4, "Joy Ride" rolls around, Day & Age has fallen apart. I'm glad you've been listening to a lot of jazz recently, Brandon, but it doesn't work. Neither do the tribal chants (Really? Are you sure? Really?) on "This Is Your Life." Neither does trying to be Belle & Sebastian on "I Can't Stay" (Is that a GLOCKENSPIEL?). Jesus Christ I can't believe I just wrote that sentence about the Killers, of all people. For fuck's sake, guys. You're better than this.

If you like the Killers, don't buy Day & Age. Just sit down and listen to Hot Fuss a couple times instead. And if you don't have Hot Fuss, listen to Sam's Town. They used to be good, I promise. But now? I guess the soul is gone.

1 comment:

  1. For this review, I give my sympathies to the Killers. For the last line, I salute you.

    ReplyDelete